Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Resolution


I cannot think of the last time I made a New Years Resolution.
Was it when I decided I would actually pick up my toys when mom asked or when I said I wouldn't watch as much Eureka's Castle on television in the afternoons?
Either way, I was under the age of 8 so those most likely don't count. I have decided, however, to join in the trend and make a resolution for 2010. I have decided to keep a blog about the simple things of my life.

Over the past few weeks and days,I have been blessed to spend part of the Holidays with Evan's granddad, Papaw (not to be confused with my granddad, PawPaw). We were able to spend time at his house and listen as he told stories about his life and his love for his wife and marriage of 60+ years. Papaw gave me a lot of good advise for marriage and did his best to recap all the ways he shared his love with his wife. Papaw spoke more than once about the two years away from his lovely bride when he was serving in the military over seas. While he was gone, he faithfully wrote love letter after love letter to make sure she knew she was in his thoughts. He told me,"She was on my mind everyday and I am pretty sure I was on hers too." I have no doubt that he is right.

After leaving Papaw's house, I found myself desperately wondering where those letters have ended up? Will they show up down the road and inspire someone who is lost with or without love (you know what I mean, you've seen it in the movies) or have they been thrown away after all these years?

It was beyond inspiring to listen to Papaw tell about his life and love and know that somewhere, some of it was/is written down. It is so interesting to hear about a persons path that once seemed ordinary and now,years down the road, see that it actually was extraordinary. In Papaw's case, it seems to be extraordinary love. I wonder what the case was for my grandparents? I wonder what it will be in my case?

With this pondering, I decided on this blog. Blogging may not be the most practical way to recap our lives down the road (much like the lost letter writing of the past) but I did not want to live this life without some recap and thought on what it means. So here is to 2010 and a New Years Resolution. Here is to hoping that down the road, my silly struggles and blessings will come to be a story to talk about and a life worth sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment